Wow. This was a real pain.
I have two HP Thin Client T610 running Windows Embedded Standard 7. Both I need to use in a kiosk mode fashion for a client. Problem is, that the current version of IE installed on them, is version 8... a few years old.
Here's how I did it.
- Turn off the Write Filter to allow changes
- Enable the local Administrators account - even though I had a seperate local administrator account, it doesn't seem to have the privileges that the built in account does.
- Log in as the local Administrator account. (Hint: default password is: Administrator)
- Change the RAM DRIVE settings. This is the crucial, key part to the rest. By default, these little units had 32MB assigned to their Ram Drives for changes. 32MB! I adjusted this to 250MB.
- Install windows updates as needed
- Download the FULL INSTALL of Internet Explorer 11 to the thin client
- Run the installtion
- If needed, follow the link and install the pre-req's for IE11
- I also installed a PDF viewer at this point too.
- Disabled the admin account again.
- Re-Enabled the File Write Filter